Preparing Your Water Heater for Spring and Summer Water Usage
As the temperatures start to warm up, it’s time to prepare your water heater for the increased demand for spring and summer water usage. Here are some steps you can take to make sure your water heater is ready to go.
- Check the temperature setting: The first step to preparing your water heater for spring and summer is to check the temperature setting. During the colder months, you may have turned up the temperature to compensate for the colder water. However, during the warmer months, you don’t need the water to be as hot, and a lower temperature setting can save you energy and money. Set the temperature to around 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and flush the tank: Over time, sediment can build up in the tank, which can reduce its efficiency and lifespan. To remove this sediment, you need to drain and flush the tank. Turn off the power or gas supply to the water heater, attach a hose to the drain valve, and open the valve to drain the tank. Once the tank is empty, close the valve and refill the tank. Open a hot water faucet to allow air to escape, and then turn the power or gas supply back on. This can be dangerous, so be sure to call an expert for help!
- Check the pressure relief valve: The pressure relief valve is an important safety feature on your water heater. It releases excess pressure in the tank to prevent it from exploding. To check the valve, lift the lever or pull the trip lever. You should hear a rush of air or see water flow out of the valve. If nothing happens, the valve may be faulty and should be replaced.
- Insulate the pipes: Insulating your hot water pipes can reduce heat loss and save you energy. It can also prevent the pipes from sweating, which can cause moisture problems in your home. If this is something you’re interested in, be sure to contact the experts for assistance.
- Consider installing a water softener: Water softeners help to remove any hard minerals from your water supply. It causes minerals such as calcium and magnesium to bond with sodium to supply less mineralized water. This can overall help your home’s pipes and is beneficial for drinking, cooking, bathing, laundry, and much more.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your water heater is ready for the increased demand for spring and summer water usage. A well-maintained water heater will not only save you money on energy costs but will also provide you with reliable hot water when you need it.
Rent With Us
At Reliance Heath Water Heaters, we rent both water heaters and softeners to help provide convenience and a cost-effective solution. Our units are rented annually to save you money up-front from buying a water heater and softener. When you rent with us, we provide you with servicing and routine maintenance checks at no additional cost. Take advantage of all our rental program has to offer!
No matter your water heater needs, Reliance Heath Water Heater Rentals is here to help. If you’re ever unsure or doing these checks becomes too dangerous, be sure to call an expert to avoid any injury. For more information, be sure to contact us today.